As a new year looms, I often think of things that I’d like to change about myself and thus start the list: lose weight, grow out my hair, start a new savings account, more efficient meal planning and cleaning schedules, etc., etc., etc. However, this year, I’m vowing not to make that list, even though there areas of my life in which I’d like to see some change.
Instead of all these outward changes, I’m asking the Lord to change me from the inside out. With the Lord’s leading, Romans 12:9, 10 will be my focus for 2017. Here’s what it says:
“Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.“
From this passage, I have found a few key areas on the INSIDE in which I would like to grow…
- REALLY love others. In word, deed, and heart, LOVE people.
- Acknowledge wrong and despise sin, but CLING to and FOCUS on the good. Assume the best about people and pray for a new perspective when they disappoint.
- Honor others. Don’t interrupt, look to serve rather than be served, consider others thoughts and feelings first before interjecting an opinion.
- Always work hard. Laziness in Kingdom work is not acceptable. Always give 100% to Him.
- Do everything with ENTHUSIASM. Yes, even when my feelings don’t line.up.
It would be easy to make this list and just chalk it up to good intentions. But, I’m choosing to place this passage of scripture AND “the list” in the most accessible places. Fridge, computer monitor (at home and at work), mirror, cupboards in the kitchen…
I’m believing God for some incredible breakthroughs as I look to grow to be the best wife, mom, and friend, as well as increase in my leadership skills and anointing. However, I’ve come to the realization that leaders lead best when they are humble. So, I’m laying it all out. Lord, I need You.